Location: Dukinfield, Tameside, England
Erected in 26 Jun 1902 in Dukinfield Park this fountain is a LOST structure. It was removed in the 1980s due to vandalism and theft of the statue of Samson.
Presented to the town by Mrs. Underwood in commemoration of the coronation of Edward VII, and the opening of the park on June 26th 1902, it was located at the first landing of the terraces facing the King Street entrance.
Drinking fountain number 19 from Walter Macfarlane’s catalgoue was 10’ 10” high, seated on a square plinth with a wide base. Four consoles in the form of lion jambs supported a quatrefoil basin. A highly decorated floral relief column rose from the centre of the font. Four tendrils protruded from the column to suspend drinking cups on chains. The column also contained a shield with a dedication inscription. The terminal was a statue of Samson.
Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Lions are symbolic of guardianship and Samson is symbolic of strength.
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal