Located in Kay Park, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland, this memorial fountain was erected in 1902 and listed as a category B Historic Building on 1 August 2002. It was manufactured by McDowall, Steven & Co Ltd.’s iron foundry, Milton Works, and is a four level structure with a square abacus separation.
The structure is seated on a circular concrete plinth. The manufacturer’s stamp is visible on the north and south sides, and on the east side is a small trough for animals. A square base offers a drinking trough for dogs and four large basins which protrude from the central column. The water is produced from ornamental taps.
A highly decorated stanchion supports a column, flanked on each side with a dolphin, symbolizing guardians of water, and a lion mask (another symbol of guardianship) on all fours sides. A smaller abacus supports a circular column containing panels on each side for commemoration. The Year 1902 is highlighted on each panel, and the north and south Panels contains the inscription: Presented to his native town by ex Baillie James Craig of Hillhead and Dean in Commemoration of the Coronation of King Edward and Queen Alexandra 1902. The East panel contains a bust of King Edward, and a bust of Queen Alexandra is displayed on the west panel.
The four scrolled feet resting on the uppermost abacus support a ball, upon which sits an eagle, a symbol of immortality. The apex is a crown finial supported by a rose, a thistle, a shamrock and a daffodil (the four national flowers of the United Kingdom.)
- Abacus, at the top of a capital, a thick rectangular slab of stone that serves as the flat, broad surface
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Stanchion, upright bar or post providing support