Location: Pitlochry, Perthshire, Scotland
Pitlochry Railway Station opened in 1863 and was restored in 2013 to celebrate the Sesquicentennial. As part of the celebration, the drinking fountain located on the platform was also restored courtesy of the Railway Heritage Trust, Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust, and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The Victorian fountain was manufactured at the Saracen Foundry, Glasgow, and is identified as casting number 7. The font is a single pedestal basin with four decorative columns rising from an octagonal plinth. Four salamanders descend the fountain pedestal as a symbol of courage and bravery. The basin has a scalloped edge and decorative relief. A central urn with four outstretched tendrils offered drinking cups suspended by chains. The terminal is a crane recognized as a symbol of vigilance.
Reports that it was originally located at Strathyre Railway Station and relocated to the station at Pitlochry are incorrect. The Strathyre drinking fountain was an award for the ‘best kept station’ on the Callander & Oban Railway line (Strathyre Railway Station was famous for its superb gardening displays.) It is currently located in a garden and visible from the road.
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal