In 1905, in celebration of the Lion Foundry’s silver jubilee, a bandstand and drinking fountain, both made at the local Foundry, were gifted by Robert Hudson who was one of the original partners.
The drinking fountain located at Camphill Avenue, Peel Park, Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire, Scotland was listed a category C historic building in 1979.
The original fountain (casting number 41) was 12 ft 8 ins high and originally stood on a square cast iron base with chamfered corners and grate for drainage. There were two small step stools to assist children in reaching the metal cups suspended on chains.
Self closing taps within lion masks spouted water into four basins which projected from the square column decorated with palmette and acanthus relief. A dedication shield is located in the cornice, Presented to the Burgh of Kirkintilloch by Ex-Bailie Hudson, Elleraybank, May 1905.
The capital supports a multi level acroter surmounted by the figure of a woman holding an olive branch in one hand and an urn on her head.
In planning for the renovation and restoration of Peel Park in 2002, the Victorian drinking fountain was also addressed. The project was restored and completed by Heritage Engineering in 2003.
- Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration
- Acroter, flat base
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Chamfered, a beveled edge connecting two surfaces
- Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree