Location: St. Anne’s, Lancashire, England
The Promenade and Gardens in St. Anne’s, Lancashire, England, hosts two fountains. The two tiered spray fountain was erected circa 1900 prior to the creation of the gardens in 1913. The installation date of the drinking fountain is unknown, but is visible in photographs dated prior to 1911. It is located at the junction of South Promenade Road, south east of the pier.
Drinking fountain number 18 was manufactured at Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland, and sits on a two tiered octagonal plinth. It has a wide base in the form of a St. Andrew’s cross, on which is set a circular shaft, ornamented with water lilies. Four lion jambs support four highly decorated quatrefoil basins. Rising from the centre is a stanchion decorated with swans on the east and west and cranes on the north and south. A kylix-shaped vase terminal with four projecting tendrils offered drinking cups suspended by chains. A small trough for dogs is located at the base of the font.
Restoration of the fountains and new, Victorian-style seating for the Promenade was funded in 2000 by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Kylix, a Grecian style drinking cup
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Stanchion, upright bar or post providing support
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal