Location: Ardersier, Inverness-shire, Scotland
The drinking fountain was erected in 1902 by public subscription to commemorate the reign of Queen Victoria. It is located in the High Street, Ardersier. Water from a reservoir in the hillside serviced the fountain.
The drinking fountain, number 18, was manufactured at Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland and is seated on an octagonal plinth. It has a wide base in the form of a St.Andrew’s cross, on which is set a circular shaft, ornamented with water lilies. Four lion jambs support four highly decorated quatrefoil basins. Rising from the centre is a stanchion decorated with swan and crane decoration. A vase terminal with four projecting tendrils offered drinking cups suspended by chains. A shield contains an inscription: Erected/By Public Subscription/In Commemoration/Of The Reign/Of Her Majesty/Queen Victoria/1837 – 1901.
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Stanchion, upright bar or post providing support
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal