Herbert Park Fountain
The drinking fountain in Herbert Park, Ballsbridge, Dublin, Ireland is situated north west of the centre of the lake and was erected in 1912 with unused funds raised by Pembroke Township for the Royal visit of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911.
Documentation states that the drinking fountain was designed by an architect, Adam Gerald Chayter Millar and erected by a contractor named James Beckett. The fountain is actually George Smith & Co.’s pattern number 12, although the company was no longer in business in 1911, and the pattern was undoubtedly purchased by another foundry.
The structure is located on a raised and stepped granite plinth with a central pedestal surrounded by four smaller columns. The large basin has dog tooth design on the rim and is partitioned by four foliate consoles from which cups were suspended on chains. Shell motif spouts on each side released water flow. The structure is surmounted with a ball terminal. Two demi-lune basins at ground level offer a drinking bowl for dogs. The base is 2 ft wide, basin is 2 ft 9” wide and the height of the structure is 4’ 9”.
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Foliate, decorated with leaves or leaf like motif
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal