Located in Kilsyth, Lanarkshire, Burngreen Park, Scotland, this fountain was erected in 1910. It was donated to the town by Provost Robert Murdoch (1907 –1910) to commemorate 25 years of service to the Town Council. A dedication stone set into the ground states, The Drinking Fountain / 1910 / Gifted To The Burgh Of Kilsyth By / Provost Robert Murdoch To / Commemorate His Retiral After 25 / Years Of Public Service On The / Town Council / Cast Iron Made By The Lion / Foundry, Kirkintilloch.
Drinking fountain number 41, 12 ft 8 ins high, was manufactured by the Lion Foundry of Kirkintilloch and rests on a square plinth with grates for drainage, (the Lion Foundry stamp is visible in the base of the structure.) The central column is decorated with palmette and acanthus relief. Quatrefoil basins are supported by a square base with chamfered corners. Panels above each basin are decorated with floral relief divided into sections by a compass cross, at the centre of which is a lion mask. The capital supports a multi level acroter surmounted by the figure of a woman dressed in flowing robes holding an olive branch in her left hand while supporting an urn on her head with her right hand.
To celebrate the centenary in 2010 of Burngreen Park, the infrastructure which included the bandstand, war memorial and the drinking fountain was refurbished, funded by Heritage Lottery Fund , North Lanarkshire Council, and the support of Friends of Burngreen Park. As with all cast iron fountains the structure had deteriorated over decades, cracks appeared, embellishments disappeared or were removed, paint chipped and faded. Historical references, photographs and paint analysis allowed restoration of the fountain close to its original state.
The original structure was located on a square concrete plinth and a cast iron base which included grates for drainage. A dedication plaque was situated below the statue. Two small step stools were positioned to assist children in reaching metal cups suspended on chains. A self closing tap spouted water from the lion’s mouth.
- Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration
- Acroter, flat base
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Chamfered, a beveled edge connecting two surfaces
- Compass cross, a cross of equal vertical and horizontal lengths, concentric with and overlaying a circle.
- Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter