Situated outside the entrance of Ludlow Castle, Shropshire, England, this 8 foot high cast iron fountain rests on a rectangular plinth. The multi tiered rectangular column has a square base with chamfered corners.
Quatrefoil basins extend from the rectangular pedestal which contains four panels with bulrush relief and lions’ heads. A multi-level acroter has a terminal of two dolphins intertwined around a trident.
On one side there is a plaque below the lion’s head containing the words, Glenfield & Kennedy Co. / Kilmarnock / Hygienic Fountain; which recognizes the later conversion of the pump mechanism to deliver water. The actual structure of the drinking fountain was cast by Coalbrookdale Company.
The fountain was presented by George Woodhouse, Mayor of Ludlow from 1907 – 1911. A metal plaque on the lower part of the structure is engraved: Presented By/ George Woodhouse/ Mayor Of Ludlow 1908 AD.
It was listed a grade II historic building in 1993.
- Acroter, flat base
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal