Location: Sturminster Newton, Dorset, England
This 8 foot high cast iron fountain in the form of a multi-tiered rectangular column has a square base with chamfered corners and apertures at ground level which previously contained troughs for dogs. The attached horse trough is seated on a ceramic brick base.
A demi basin extends from the rectangular pedestal which contains four panels with bulrush relief and a lions’ head above a Tudor rose (the floral heraldic emblem of England.) A multi-level acroter has a terminal of two dolphins intertwined around a trident. An inscription is engraved on two sides. Erected to the / memory of / J. Comyns Leach, M.D. J.P. / who practised in this / town for over 40 years / and who died at sea / March 11th 1907 / aged 65 years / and of his son / E. Comyns Leach/ B.A. Surgeon / who died at Sierra / Leone June 17th 1902 / aged 33 years.
J. Comyns Leach died on the S.S. Argonaut between Malta and Port Said. His obituary stated that he had a sympathic disposition which won the esteem and regard of all. He was a highly educated doctor who practised medicine in Sturminster for over 40 years and held many titles in the medical field. He was also a published author as well as a Justice of the Peace for the County. At the time of his death he held the appointment of County Coroner, County Analyst and Medical Officer for Heath for the District of Sturminster.
The fountain was listed a Grade II historic building on 20 October 1983.
Although the structure has been identified by British Listed Buildings as a casting by Mitchell and Sons of Bristol (the name of the supplier on a side plate) it is a Coalbrookdale casting. The Coalbrookdale name is stamped beneath the basin. This design was registered in 1864 (Rd No 173109.)
- Acroter, flat base
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal