Location: Savannah, Georgia, USA
In 1897 Mayor Herman Myers donated a drinking fountain to the City for use by humans. It was erected in Forsyth Park. The single column pedestal was 9’ 5” tall with drinking basins and faucets. A multi-tiered acroter supported a 36″ tall statue of a maiden feeding a dove. The sculpture is attributed to bronze founder, George Fischer and cast by J.W. Fiske, identified as Girl Feeding Bird #226. A bird perches on her right wrist as she gathers a tunic at her left hip with her left hand creating a pouch containing seeds. Her head is tilted slightly back and she holds a seed in her mouth. The fountain was removed from Forsyth Park in the 1980’s.
In 1983 a structure resembling the lower portion of the original fountain was installed at Troup Square. Whether the fountain was re-engineered or the base reproduced is uncertain. The current fountain is seated on a square base with a single pedestal containing four inset panels. Each panel displays a stylized floral pattern and on two sides at ground level is a demi basin for small animals. A multi-level acroter supports an enclosed vase with orb terminal.
An annual ceremony known as the Blessing of Pets is held each October 4th (the Feast of St. Francis, Patron Saint of animals) at the fountain.
- Acroter, flat base
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal