Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
“In 1863 a by-law was passed to prohibit cows and pigs from running on the streets. There was no mention of hens.”
In 1875 the Newton log house was demolished, and a town hall was constructed to operate as municipal offices and as a farmers’ market which was the only legal place to sell meat. Steer mascarons are still part of the structure and are visible above the doors and windows.
The fountain which is situated outside the Town Hall on Broadway was part of a set that once graced the street. The other was demolished for much needed scrap metal during World War II. It is currently used as a planter.
The structure offered fresh water to humans, horses and dogs. On one side two taps fed water into a large horse trough. The other side hosted a vertical basin for human consumption. The water run-off fed into a small basin at ground level for dogs and smaller animals.
The structure is seated on a two tiered rectangular base bolted to a concrete plinth. The drinking fountain is attached to the trough by consoles decorated with scrolls and trefoil relief. An embossed palmette forms the design on the back and interior of the fountain. The terminal is a palmette.
The manufacturer’s stamp is visible on the base, Canada Foundry Co. Limited, Toronto.
Console, a decorative bracket support element
Mascaron, a decorative element in the form of a sculpted face or head of a human being or an animal
Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree
Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.
Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal
Trefoil, An ornamental design of three rounded lobes