Location: Alexandra Park, Crosby, Liverpool, Merseyside, England
Alexandra Park was formally opened in December 1902. Although not an optimum month for opening festivities, officials were eager to open it during the Coronation year. The park was named as it was adjacent to Alexandra Road, and also in honour of Queen Alexandra and her coronation in August. A park access road was named Coronation Road.
The drinking fountain was installed in the park in 1903, and little more is known about the history of this drinking fountain. It was restored in 2009 by Sefton Council as part of National Love Parks Week. The project was led by Sefton Park Rangers and assisted by many local volunteers including the Seaforth Information Network Group. The fountain was repainted in the original colour scheme of black and gold, and as the water feature no longer worked the basins were planted with trailing plants.
Purchased from Glasgow’s Saracen Foundry the drinking fountain, 10’ 10” high, is a customization of number 19 (the statue of Samson was replaced). The wide base is in the form of a St. Andrew’s cross, on which is set a circular shaft, ornamented with water lilies. Four lion jambs support four highly decorated quatrefoil basins. The stanchion and central column are decorated with floral relief. Four tendrils protruding from the column once suspended drinking cups on chains. The capital supports the finial, casting #150, a female figure that originally held a leaf above her head.
Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Lions are symbolic of guardianship and Samson is symbolic of strength.
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Stanchion, an upright bar or post providing support