Location: Paraná, Entre Ríos, Argentina
In 1901 the British residents of Paraná donated a fountain to the city in commemoration of Queen Victoria, and their relationship with the Argentinian people. It was erected on the Boulevard Racedo in front of the railway station.
The drinking fountain was number 27 manufactured by Walter Macfarlane & Co. in the Saracen Foundry, Glasgow. The design was well suited for street crossings, squares, market places, etc., as it afforded drinking accommodation for a large number of horses and drivers, and effectively lit a wide space, with the least possible obstruction to other traffic.
The structure provided a drinking trough for horses with a small basin for dogs at ground level. The trough was a circular cast iron basin supported on legs in the form of horses’ hooves. The central stanchion supported the structure which was seated on a circular plinth. A central fluted column was capped with a lamp and crown terminal. Roofed in with scales of opal glass the lantern cast the light downwards (design number 223).
A shield on the post offered inscription: “The British residents of Entre Rios, the Municipality of Paraná, in commemoration of government of HM Queen Victoria, and in gratitude for the feeling shown by the Argentine people. Paraná, January 22, 1901.” Four projecting tendrils suspended cups allowing humans to drink from the spouting water whilst horses drank from the large basin.
The original hexagonal lamp with fish scale design was probably replaced when electricity was introduced. The current lamp differs in shape and does not have a crown terminal.
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.
- Stanchion, upright bar or post providing support
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal