Location: Derby Park, Bootle
The drinking fountain was commissioned by the Bootle Health Committee to celebrate the royal marriage between the Duke and Duchess of York. It was erected in the grounds of Bootle Hospital in 1894.
This cast-iron drinking fountain, with four basins arranged around a tall ornate column, originally stood in the grounds of Bootle hospital. Due to increased traffic in the hospital grounds, it was relocated to Derby Park in 1935. The fountain was restored in 2008.
The fountain was manufactured at Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry, and stands on a two tiered octagonal plinth. Drinking fountain number 19 was originally 10’ 10”which included a statue of Samson. The wide base is in the form of a St. Andrew’s cross, on which is set a circular shaft, ornamented with water lilies. Four lion jambs support four highly decorated quatrefoil basins. The stanchion and central column are decorated with floral relief. A dedication shield records: Erected By Subscription / In / Commemoration Of The / Marriage Of / T.R.M / The Duke And Duchess Of York / On 6th July / 1893. Four tendrils protrude from the column to suspend drinking cups on chains. The terminal was a statue of Samson, which is no longer present.
Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Lions are symbolic of guardianship and Samson is symbolic of strength.
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Stanchion, an upright bar or post providing support
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal
Posted on December 17, 2014, in Architecture, Cast Iron, England, Memorial Drinking Fountain, Saracen Foundry and tagged Bootle, Bootle Hospital, Derby Park, Duke and Duchess of York, Samson. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.