Location: Holley, NYS, USA
Holley Village Square is located along New York State Route 31, between Wright and Thomas Streets. The drinking fountain located in the public square was erected in memory of Abraham L. Salisbury a champion of the Temperance Movement. It was donated to the village in August 1914 by his widow, Mary Jane Salisbury, in cooperation with the Women’s Christian Temperance Union.
The design was chosen to offer drinking water to horses, dogs, small animals and humans. A requirement was that the fountain should be “an absolutely sanitary white metal fountain.”
The casting manufactured by J.L. Mott Iron Works is over nine feet tall and consists of a square central column seated on a square stone plinth. One side containing a demi-lune trough for watering horses also originally offered a smaller basin underneath it for dogs. On the opposite side twin basins supported by consoles were used by people. Two panels feature dedication plaques, Presented To / The Village / Of Holley / By / Mrs. Salisbury / In Memory / Of Her Husband / Abraham L. Salisbury / 1914 and Presented / Through / The / Women’s / Christian / Temperance / Union.
A frieze of rosettes and an egg and dart cornice surround the capital which supports a large urn seated on a three tiered acroter. The urn with scalloped edge consists of a fluted pedestal, and a large basin decorated with winged putti blowing a horn. A kylix on pedestal extends above to terminate in a ball finial.
In 1985 the Salisbury Fountain, in need of restoration due to a cracked finial caused by a snow plough, was repaired, painted silver and moved 20 feet northward to its current location. The restoration was funded with support of the Holley Village Board and citizens.
Over a quarter of a century later, funds made available by a building improvements grant to beautify the village were utilized to do further restorative work in 2014. The structure was sandblasted to remove decades of paint; repair was made to the casting, and a new coat of anti-rust silver paint was applied with detailing by local artist Howard Barry. New stainless hardware was installed and plumbing was repaired and connected to the village’s water system. A special cover was purchased to shield the fountain from the effects of the winter climate. Unveiling and rededication of the drinking fountain took place on Sept. 20, 2014.
- Acroter, flat base
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Demilune, half moon or crescent shape
- Egg and dart, a carving of alternating oval shapes and dart or arrow shapes
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Fluted, a long rounded groove decorating the shaft of a column
- Frieze, the horizontal part of a classical moulding just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
- Kylix, a Grecian style drinking cup
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.
- Putto (plural is Putti), a figure in a work of art depicted as a chubby male child, usually nude