Ramsey Fountain & Trough
Location: Ramsey Road & Mayes Lane, Ramsey, Essex
Richard Combe Abdy a wealthy businessman with interests in cotton and banking owned Michaelstowe Hall in 1920. He donated the drinking fountain and horse trough to replace a pond that had previously existed on the site.
Casting #16 (3 feet 3 inches high and 2 feet 7 inches wide) is a wall mounted drinking fountain in the form of a round arch trimmed with highly decorated fret detail and rope moulding. The recessed interior of the arch contains a shell lunette with a tap which poured water into a fluted demi-lune basin. The fountain is surmounted with a palmette finial and a ring from which a single drinking cup was suspended on a chain.
A rectangular cattle trough is located a short distance from the fountain. It is supported on six legs in the form of animal fetlocks. A basin for dogs at ground level is located on the left side.
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Fetlock, part of an animal’s leg above the hoof
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Fret, running or repeated ornament
- Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting
- Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree
Posted on June 30, 2015, in Architecture, Cast Iron, Drinking Fountain, England, Saracen Foundry, Trough and tagged Essex, Michaelstowe Hall, Ramsey, Richard Combe Abdy. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.