Location: Bath, Somerset, England
Hedgemead Park, situated below Camden Crescent, was the scene of a landslide in the 1870s in which houses collapsed. The land remained derelict for many years until the city created a plan to transform it into a park. Designed by T.B. Silcock, it was engineered to prevent future landslides and formally opened in 1889.
A drinking fountain was erected around the same time possibly 1890. Seated on a triple tiered octagonal plinth it was manufactured at Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry in Glasgow. The drinking fountain, 10’ 10” high, is a customized structure created with font number 18; a wide base with canted corners on which is set a circular shaft ornamented with water lilies. Four lion jambs support four highly decorated quatrefoil basins. The stanchion and central column are decorated with projecting acanthus leaves and relief of willow leaves and berries. Column number 32 with four consoles protruding from the column originally suspended drinking cups on chains. The capital supports an octagonal ogee pedestal surmounted by an eagle with outstretched wings.
Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Lions were symbolic of guardianship, and eagles represented salvation.
The drinking fountain, although no longer functioning, was recorded as a Grade II historic building on 15 October 2010.
- Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration
- Canted corner, an angled surface which cuts of a corner
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Ogee, curve with a concave
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Stanchion, an upright bar or post providing support