Location: Wagin, Western Australia
The drinking fountain in the park at the intersection of Tudor and Tudhoe Streets was presented to the Municipality of Wagin in January 1929 by Alexander Galt, an immigrant Scotsman, who operated a hardware importer business in town. The fountain next to Wagin District High School is separated from the park by a white picket fence.
The drinking fountain, approximately 2 metres tall, is number 18 manufactured at Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland. The structure is seated on a raised concrete base and canted corner plinth in the form of a St. Andrew’s cross, on which is set a circular shaft, ornamented with water lilies. Four lion jambs support four highly decorated quatrefoil basins. Rising from the centre is a stanchion decorated with alternating swan and crane bas-relief. A kylix-shaped vase terminal with consoles once offered drinking cups suspended by chains. A dedication plaque is located on the base.
The fountain which was electronically lighted in 1929, was recorded as a Category 3 historic listing on 15th January 1999. Plumbing was restored in 2008 to operate a chrome tap on the south side.
- Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
- Canted corner, an angled surface which cuts of a corner
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Kylix, a Grecian style drinking cup
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Stanchion, upright bar or post providing support
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal