Edzell Drinking Fountain
Location: Edzell, Angus, Scotland
A drinking fountain was erected in 1898 in an open area not far from the Panmure Hotel. The fountain, a modification of drinking fountain number 28 with basin number 39, was a design by George Smith & Co. manufactured by the Sun Foundry.
The round based fountain, which supported a large basin and offered a trough for small animals at ground level, was seated on a circular plinth. A multi-tiered central column decorated with fret detail was flanked by two young boys holding upturned urns from which water poured. The figurines stood on a short pedestal that contained a button to release a flow of water from the urns. Four metal cups supported on chains hung from each of the horizontal consoles on the central column. Four entwined dolphins (symbolizing guardians of all things water related) encircled the column as it narrowed to the orb finial.
The bowl was broken and/or vandalised, and the figurines lost to history. The only remaining part of the fountain is the original terminal which contains the entwined dolphins and orb apex. It has been mounted on a concrete pedestal with two basins and bubbler spigots. It remains in its original location on the north west corner of Edzell Muir off B966. It was recently refurbished.
- Bubbler, a fountain with a tap which ejects a stream of water
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.
- Spigot, a device that controls the flow of liquid
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal
Posted on January 13, 2016, in Architecture, Cast Iron, Drinking Fountain, Scotland, Sun Foundry and tagged Edzell Muir, Edzell, Angus, George Smith & Company, Panmure Hotel. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.