Location: Lauder, Berwickshire, Scotland
A combination drinking fountain and watering trough generously donated to the Royal Burgh of Lauder by Councillor W. D. Aikman of Ferneyside, Gilmerton was erected in the Market Place. Prior to the Common-Riding proceedings in 1911, Provost Cossar thanked the Councillor on behalf of the community, and Mrs. Cossar turned on the water with ‘a gaily bedecked key’ to fill the first cup.
Note: King George V’s coronation was in 1911.Therefore, it is possible that the fountain was donated to commemorate this historic event.
The fountain was demolished in 1925 when a vehicle struck it.
Drinking fountain number 80 manufactured by Walter Macfarlane & Co. at the Saracen Foundry, Glasgow was well suited for Street Crossings, Squares, Market Places, etc., as it afforded drinking accommodation for a large number of horses and drivers, and effectively lit a wide space, with the least possible obstruction to other traffic.
It provided a circular cast iron basin supported on legs in the form of horses’ hooves which supplied water to a small trough at ground level for dogs. The central stanchion with attic base supported a central fluted column and the option of a shield for inscription. Cups suspended on chains hung from two projecting consoles in the form of tendrils. A bulbous form engraved with acanthus bas-relief demarcated the transformation of the column into a lamp post. Yoke maintenance arms were positioned beneath the lantern.
- Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration
- Attic base, a column base with two rings
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Fluted Shaft, a long rounded groove decorating the shaft of a column
- Stanchion, an upright bar or post providing support
- Yoke maintenance arms, the bars near the top of the street light which supported the lamplighter’s ladder