Dowanhill Park Fountain
Location: Partick, Glasgow, Scotland
Land bound by Highburgh Road and Dowanhill Street was purchased in 1903 by the City Corporation. Although officially named Dowanhill Park it was known as the Wee Park to differentiate it from Whiteinch Park
The fountain is a customized structure containing several design elements by Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry in Glasgow. Seated on a circular stone plinth, the wide base is in the form of a St. Andrew’s cross with four lion jambs supporting four elaborately decorated quatrefoil basins for horses, four smaller demi-lune basins for humans and troughs at ground level for dogs. It is similar to font design number 18. The stanchion is decorated with bands of acanthus and alternating panels of cranes and swans.
Four consoles protrude from a circular fluted shaft (design number 45) to suspend drinking cups on chains. The lamp pillar was number 40 with lantern design number 224. The lantern was later replaced by a glass globe enclosed within a horizontal and vertical band.
- Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Fluted Shaft, a long rounded groove decorating the shaft of a column
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Stanchion, upright bar or post providing support