Location: Katoomba, New South Wales, Australia
Alderman Frederick Charles Goyder was a businessman who owned Goyder Auctioneers and the Carrington Hotel, a premier tourist resort in the Southern Hemisphere. He was a Justice of the Peace and became the first Mayor of Katoomba, serving from 1890 -1891.
In 1900, the year of his death (18 Jan 1900), discussions were held regarding a memorial lamp and drinking fountain. It was erected on 26 June 1901 in the centre of Katoomba Street near the railway station.
In July 1914 Katoomba Municipal Council adopted a recommendation to remove the drinking fountain attached to the Goyder memorial lamp and re-erect it on the footpath near the railway gates. The lamp was also relocated to the corner of Park and Main Streets.
The font, design number 7 from Walter Macfarlane’s catalogue manufactured at the Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, was a single pedestal basin with four decorative columns rising from an octagonal plinth. Four salamanders descended the fountain pedestal as a symbol of courage and bravery. The basin had a scalloped edge and decorative relief. A central urn with four consoles offered drinking cups suspended by chains. The terminal was a crane recognized as a symbol of vigilance. The fountain, visible in the lower right corner of the image above, was operated by pulling on one of four levers which released water.
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal.