Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Located in Stanley park near the Vancouver Rowing Club, this drinking fountain memorial was erected a year after Queen Victoria’s death. The project was funded by school children selling black edged memorial cards that recorded the Queen’s birth, coronation and death. A gala concert was also held.
The memorial, constructed with Nelson granite at the top of a flight of steps, was unveiled by the Premier Sir Richard McBride in 24 May 1906 (the Queen’s birthday).
On each side of the memorial are pillars embedded with a crest. The shield on the right hand side is the Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom and may be used only by the Monarch. On the left, the shield displays entwined serpents; this is the coat of arms for the City of Vancouver designed by James Bloomfield.
The drinking fountain flanked by stone seats is embedded in a granite column. The bronze bas-relief was designed by James Bloomfield and cast in England. The left facing cameo of Queen Victoria’s head is the same image used on the 1897 Diamond Jubilee medals and medallions.
The inscription states, In Memory Of / Victoria The Good / This Monument Is / Erected By The / School Children / Of Vancouver 1905.
Beneath the inscription is a lion mascaron with flowing mane that spouts water into a demi-lune basin. The original drinking cups suspended by chains are no longer present.
- Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Mascaron, a decorative element in the form of a sculpted face or head of a human being or an animal