Pease Woodland Fountain
Location: Darlington, Durham, England
This fountain located at the junction of Milbank Road and Woodland Road is one in a series of eight that were donated to the people of Darlington by Mr. Joseph Whitwell Pease M. P. in 1866 to promote Temperance and provide refreshment. It is featured on a stone wall boundary where Joseph Pease formerly lived.
The fountain is incorporated into a stone Romanesque arch. Spandrels on each side display the date of installation as 1866. The cast iron arch has two wide pilasters decorated with bas-relief of dolphins, tridents and bulrushes. The capitals host a roundel with palmette. The arch is decorated with fish-scale fret design and the Pease family crest; a rising dove seated upon the capital of an ionic column, holding a pea-stalk complete with blossom and pods in its beak. The arched faceplate contains an inscription, Water For The Thirsty.
The fountain was listed a Grade II historic building on 6 September 1977. It has been restored by Dr. Freshwater.
- Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Fret, running or repeated ornament
- Ionic Column, a slim shaft with scroll shaped capital
- Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree
- Pilaster, a column form that is only ornamental and not supporting a structure
- Romanesque arch, an arch created with multiple semi circular arches
- Roundel, a small circular decorative plate
- Spandrel, the triangular space between two arches