Market Square Fountain
Location: Ramsey, Isle of Man
A lamp/drinking fountain was erected in Market Square adjacent to St. Paul’s Church in 1865 to commemorate the establishment of the Ramsey Town Commission.
Originally seated on a two tiered rectangular pedestal the capital supported a column with a central lantern flanked by two additional lanterns on elaborate palmette consoles. The six sided glass pane lanterns were capped with a ball and spike finial.
The structure was altered several times to accommodate the inventions of the 20th century. The introduction of gas lighting reduced the light source to one lantern, (yoke maintenance arms which were positioned beneath the lantern are still in view); and with the establishment of electric power the lantern was replaced with a rectangular frame from which hung an electric bulb.
When Market Square was transformed into a car park the fountain was obscured between two telephone boxes. The current structure still retains a demi-lune basin and a crest similar to the Prince of Wales’ coat of arms on one side. The three remaining sides contain an inset panel with bas-relief displaying the Isle of Man coat of arms and the legend, Ramsey Incorporated / 1865 / Erected By Subscription. A stone trough is set into the ground on one side.
Redevelopment of the Square was started in 2015 with the intention of restoring the cast iron fountain and relocating it closer to the church.
Update: Restoration complete, image status 2016
- Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Yoke maintenance arms, the bars near the top of a street light which supported the lamplighter’s ladder