Jubilee Fountain Falstone
Location: Falstone, Northumberland, England
On North Haul Road near the Old School (now a tea room) is a stone wall containing a cast iron drinking fountain. It was erected to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. Within the peak of the gabled stone wall is an engraved stone, Erected / By / Subscription.
The font, design number 17 (4 feet 5 inches high) from Walter Macfarlane’s catalogue, was manufactured by the Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland. The design utilizes features of the canopy used in drinking fountain number 8, and is surmounted by a palmette finial. Griffin terminals flank a highly decorated arch outlined with rope detail which also encircles a medallion hosting the profile image of a Queen Victoria with inscription in bas-relief above; 1837 VR 1897. The recessed interior of the arch contains a shell lunette from which a tap protrudes. A single drinking cup on a chain was once suspended above the fluted demi-lune basin.
The fountain was recorded as a Grade II listed building on 7 January 1988.
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Gable, triangular portion of a wall
- Griffin, winged lion denotes vigilance and strength, guards treasure and priceless possessions
- Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting
- Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal
Posted on June 1, 2016, in Architecture, BrItish Listed Building, Cast Iron, Drinking Fountain, England, Memorial Drinking Fountain, Queen Victoria Jubilee, Saracen Foundry and tagged Falstone, Northumberland, North Haul Road. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.