Location: Lisbon, Portugal
There is a famous square in the city of Lisbon commonly known as Rossio Square (proper name is Pedro IV Square). It is famous for a 75 foot monument with a marble statue of Pedro IV and two Baroque spray fountains imported from France. Installed in 1889, they were cast at the Val d’Osne Foundry with statues sculpted by famed French sculptors Mathurin Moreau and Michel Lienard.
Also in the square, but seldom reported, is a cast iron drinking fountain. It is located near the road between the monument and the fountain at the south end of the square.
The cylindrical cast iron pedestal with attic base was manufactured by the Val d’Osne Foundry and features panels of floral relief. The capital supports four partly dressed putti with raised arms supporting a canopy from which a stream of water descends from the interior into a shallow basin with shell decoration. The statues are very similar to a design in the Val d’Osne catalog identified as design number 102, Enfant á la Corbeille by Mathurin Moreau.
- Attic base, a column base with two rings
- Canopy, an ornamental roof-like projection
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Putto (plural is Putti), a figure in a work of art depicted as a chubby male child, usually nude