Location: Cowdenbeath, Fife, Scotland
On Jun 23rd 1897, a drinking fountain was erected in the High Street donated by the Burgh’s first Provost, Henry Mungall. Located near the tollhouse, it was erected to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. A need for better lighting in 1913 initiated an upgrade to the original lanterns.
The drinking fountain remained in situ until the mid-1940s when it was removed to enable widening of the road.
George Smith & Co.’s design number 5, which was manufactured by the Sun Foundry, was advertised as 14 feet 6 inches to the base of the centre lamp. The ogee style base supported a single pedestal structure seated on a two tiered plinth. The central block was edged with rope detail. Four pilasters framed decorative inlaid panels. Four demi-lune basins were flanked by drinking cups suspended on chains. Centre and above each panel, a lion mascaron adorned the capital. A solid domed roof supported a lantern finial with two additional lanterns on consoles.
Customization of this design was made to the dome with the addition of four dedication roundels with a left facing silhouette of Queen Victoria’s head.
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Mascaron, a decorative element in the form of a sculpted face or head of a human being or an animal
- Ogee, curve with a concave
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Pilaster, a column form that is only ornamental and not supporting a structure
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.