Paul’s Cross Drinking Fountain
Location: London, England
The original Paul’s Cross was a preaching cross and open-air pulpit in the grounds of Old St Paul’s Cathedral, in the City of London. The current cross was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield with reconstruction completed in 1910. It is situated to the west of St. Paul’s Cathedral.
The stone structure consists of a central pedestal surmounted by a statue of St. Paul who preached Christ’s message throughout the world. On the eastern side of the balustrade is a plaque;
On The Plot Of This Ground / Stood Of Old ‘Paul’s Cross’ Whereat Amid Such / Scenes Of Good And Evil As Make Up Human Affairs / The Conscience Of Church And Nation Through / Five Centuries Found Public Utterance / The First Record Of It Is In 1191 Ad It Was Rebuilt / By Bishop Kemp In 1449 And Was Finally Removed / By Order Of The Long Parliament In 1643 / This Cross Was Re-Erected In Its Present Form / Under The Will Of H C Richards / To Recall And Renew / The Ancient Memories.
The west side of the balustrade offers a brass drinking fountain set into stone. A winged effigy watches over a large demi-lune basin flanked by sea horses. Water is supplied with a push button device.
- Balustrade, a railing supported by moulded shafts
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Effigy, sculpture of a person