Location: Beamaris, Isle of Anglesey, Wales
The drinking fountain is located between Beaumaris Castle and the Happy Valley Pavilion. It was erected on 23rd June 1893 in the public pleasure grounds adjoining Beaumaris Castle by Alderman Thomas Hughes who later became Mayor.
This octagonal shaped drinking fountain seated on an octagonal plinth is design #14 manufactured by George Smith & Co., Sun Foundry, Glasgow. The ogee shaped base and acroter support a single pillar with attic base and inset arched panels. Entablature with bolt consoles sit beneath an ogee cupola with alternate panels of fleur de lys motif. The structure is surmounted with an acorn shaped finial.
Originally, two demilune basins with a chain for a suspended cup offered water to humans, and at ground level was a basin for dogs.
A plaque is inscribed with the legend; Presented / To The / Corporation / Of / Beaumaris / By Alderman / Thos. Hughes / 1893
- Acroter, flat base
- Attic base, a column base with two rings
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Cupola, a small, domed structure on top of a roof.
- Demilune, half moon or crescent shape
- Entablature, moldings and bands which lie horizontally above columns
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Ogee, curve with a concave