Location: Allanton, Scottish Borders, Scotland
The village of Allanton is a single street standing high above the confluence of the Whiteadder and Blackadder Waters, the site of two bridges. Allanton was part of the estate of Blackadder House.
There is little information available regarding the fountain located close to ground level and set into a wall of sandstone. It bears some resemblance to designs by the Coalbrookdale Company of Shropshire, England but the manufacturer cannot be confirmed.
The recessed arch containing the drinking well is flanked by foliate enrichment, two putti playing musical instruments and a central mascaron of Poseidon surrounded by reeds. Within the arch is the date 1815 and the letter B which may refer to the Blackadder Family/House/Estate; however, this is speculation. A metal key which hangs within the niche was likely inserted into a rod in the ground which turned on the water flow.
The fountain was listed a category B historic building on 26 March 1997. The basin visible in photographs in 2006 is missing in images from March 2009. The remaining ironwork at the base of the structure is brittle and corroded.
- Foliate, decorated with leaves or leaf like motif
- Mascaron, a decorative element in the form of a sculpted face or head of a human being or an animal
- Putto (plural is Putti), a figure in a work of art depicted as a chubby male child, usually nude