Location: Auburn, California, USA
The 15-foot-high drinking fountain was donated to the City of Auburn in 1908 by Jacob Neff, Lieutenant Governor of California. The local man had at one time been a Sheriff of Placer County. Originally erected in the intersection of Lincoln Way and Maple Street, it was removed in 1976 when it became a hindrance to automobile traffic, and construction of the Auburn Folsom Road required relocation of the fountain to its current site at the corner of the Lincoln Way and Maple Street outside Placer County Courthouse.
In 2013, following inspection of the structure it was discovered that rust was threatening the integrity of the fountain. A restoration project was approved with funding to be provided by the Placer County Historical Society through fundraising efforts. The project required the fountain to be dismantled and shipped to a restoration company.
Currently per 2016, the fountain is used as a garden centerpiece with flowering plants in the original troughs.
Originally seated on a square plinth, the cast iron structure is an octagonal design with two small basins at ground level to allow dogs to drink. Eight inlaid panels offered two large troughs to quench the thirst of horses and cattle, a single demi–lune basin for human consumption with a drinking cup suspended on a chain, and a dedication plaque; the inscription reads: Presented / To The / City Of Auburn / By / Hon. Jacob H. Neff / 1908. The capital supports a lamp pedestal with a central lantern flanked by four elaborate consoles supporting glass globes.
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.