Caledonian Railway Drinking Fountain
Location: Peebles, Scottish Borders, Scotland
This ‘lost’ cast iron drinking fountain, design #16 (3 feet 3 inches high and 2 feet 7 inches wide), was a wall mounted casting in the form of a round arch trimmed with highly decorated fret detail and rope moulding. The recessed interior of the arch contained a shell lunette with a tap which poured water into a fluted demi-lune basin. The fountain was surmounted with a palmette finial and a ring from which a single drinking cup was suspended on a chain. It was located in the Caledonian Railway station on the north side of March Street in Peebles.
In 1948 the railway was nationalised as part of British Rail, and the Edinburgh to Peebles line permanently closed in February 1962. It was later demolished and is now a housing development named March Street Lane.
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Fret, running or repeated ornament
- Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting
- Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree
Posted on February 22, 2017, in Cast Iron, Drinking Fountain, Saracen Foundry, Scotland and tagged British Rail, Caledonian Railway, Peebles, Scottish Borders. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.