Location: Kingston-upon-Hull, England
This ‘lost’ drinking fountain was erected on the north east side of Queen’s Road beside the chapel compliments of Mr. Joseph Temple, a printer’s broker, who lived at Palmerston House in De Grey Street in 1882. In subsequent years, Temple became the proprietor of the Hull Daily Express and a member of the Cottingham Local Board. Although it is not known exactly when the fountain was installed, his will stated that £50 be directed to the donation of a fountain in his name (Temple died in 1895).
With the invention and introduction of the motor vehicle, the structure became an obstacle to traffic, and a notation in council minutes of 1925 advocated that the fountain be removed and installed in Pearson Park.
The structure which was over 11 feet tall was manufactured by Andrew Handyside and Co. of Derby, England and was design number 48 in the 1877 catalogue.
The cylindrical structure with attic base was comprised of six fluted Corinthian columns with decorative volutes which supported a cupola with Neptune mask frieze and a cornice with leaf detail. A solid dome was surmounted by a sculptured basin and a putto carrying an urn on his shoulder. The original font was an unusual form resembling a capped urn with lion masks spouting water. A dedication plaque was attached to the cylindrical base.
- Attic base, A column base with two rings
- Column Corinthian, a fluted shaft with flowers and leaves at the capital.
- Cornice, a molding or ornamentation that projects from the top of a building
- Cupola, A small, domed structure on top of a roof
- Fluted, a long rounded groove
- Frieze, The horizontal part of a classical entablature just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
- Putto, A figure in a work of art depicted as a chubby male child, usually nude
- Volute, a spiral scroll-like ornament found in the capital of a column