Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
The drinking fountain located midway between the vaults and the boundary wall was erected during the late 19th century (1880-1890).
Seated on a two tiered hexagonal granite plinth, the fountain is design number 13 by George Smith & Co. manufactured by the Sun Foundry. The base is in the form of a compass cross base with canted corners. It has a central pedestal and four columns decorated with diamond frieze and nail head molding which supported the font. The large basin has nail head relief on the rim and is partitioned by four foliate brackets from which cups are suspended on chains. Shell motif spouts on each side release water flow. The structure is surmounted with a chained orb terminal.
- Canted corner, an angled surface which cuts of a corner
- Compass cross, a cross of equal vertical and horizontal lengths, concentric with and overlaying a circle.
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Foliate, decorated with leaves or leaf like motif
- Frieze, the horizontal part of a classical moulding just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.