Location: Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada
The old drinking fountain currently located at the intersection of Manitoba Street, Entrance Drive and Ecclestone Drive originally stood near the post office at Manitoba Street and Taylor Road. It was donated to the town by the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union in 1914 and moved to its present location in 1988. The fountain was restored in 2010 due in great part to the efforts of Gary Denniss, a local Canadian historian and author.
The drinking fountain which hosts 3 large horse troughs is seated on a square base with acanthus frieze. A panel on each side is inset with stylized bas-relief. The capital supports a multi-tiered circular pillar with attic base and lion head mascarons on four sides which spouted water into the troughs. Drinking cups suspended on chains allowed humans to drink from the flowing water.
The manufacturer of the cast iron fountain is unknown.
- Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration. It is symbolic of a difficult
- Attic base, a column base with two rings
- Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Mascaron, a decorative element in the form of a sculpted face or head of a human being or an animal