Location: Carmarthen, Wales
Carmarthen Park opened in 1900 and it is supposed that the drinking fountain located within the park near the Gorsedd Circle was erected in the same year.
The fountain designed by the foundry of David King & Sons (Glasgow) was listed a Grade II historic building on 23 November 2003. It is seated in a concrete block on a two tiered octagonal plinth. The spiral fluted pedestal supports an octagonal capital decorated with alternate panels of rosettes and spigots. Four ornamental scroll consoles which protrude from the tapering shaft originally supported drinking cups. The finial is a tapered extension with two spheres.
The original design of this fountain offered a large circular basin. It is unknown if this model was customized or the basin was removed.
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Fluted, a long rounded groove
- Rosette, a round stylized flower design
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Spigot, a device that controls the flow of liquid