Blog Archives

Jubilee Fountain and Lamp Standard

Location: Poynton, Cheshire, England

The drinking fountain erected in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee was located at the crossroads of London Road, Cheshire Road and Park Lane when Poynton was merely a hamlet.

The fountain is a modification of number 175, manufactured by the Sun Foundry of Glasgow. The moulded horse troughs in the base are not part of the original design and were manufactured by Wilson and Co., Manchester.

The pedestal with chamfered edge hosts four panels. On three sides a compass cross contains a lion mascaron with self-closing tap from which water spouted into small basins. Drinking water was captured in metal cups suspended on chains. Overflow water which drained into demi-lune troughs for horses also fed small troughs at ground level for dogs.

The fourth panel is inscribed with the dedication: 1837 Erected 1937 / By The / Inhabitants Of / Poynton / In Commemoration / Of The / Diamond Jubilee / Of / Queen Victoria.

A frieze of acanthus leaves is situated beneath the capital upon which there is a lamp standard with four decorative feet in the form of scrolls. The pedestal, also originally used as a guide post with four directional plates, has a bulbous base with bas-relief extending into a fluted column with bands. A two tiered acroter supports a candelabrum of four glass lanterns with elaborate consoles. These lamps offered the first street lighting in the village.

The fountain was registered as a Grade II listed building on 17 November 1983. Listed Building Consent was received to relocate the fountain, and after restoration it was relocated to Park Lane in 2011.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Glossary:

  • Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration
  • Acroter, flat base
  • Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
  • Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
  • Chamfer, a beveled edge
  • Compass cross, a cross of equal vertical and horizontal lengths, concentric with and overlaying a circle.
  • Console, a decorative bracket support element
  • Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
  • Frieze, the horizontal part of a classical moulding just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
  • Mascaron, a decorative element in the form of a sculpted face or head of a human being or an animal
  • Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue

 

 

Queen Victoria Jubilee Fountain

Location: Warrington, Cheshire, England

The fountain in Queens Gardens was erected in 1898 in joint commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of Warrington Borough Council and Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. It was donated by a local businessman named Robert Garnett. The fountain was recorded as a grade II listed structure on 4 April 1975.

Drinking fountain number 8 from Walter Macfarlane & Co.’s catalogue was manufactured at the Saracen Foundry at Possilpark in Glasgow. The structure is 9 feet 6 inches high and consists of four columns, from the capitals of which consoles with griffin terminals unite with arches formed of decorated mouldings.

Rope moulded cartouches within the lunettes host the images of a crane, and a bust of Queen Victoria. On all sides provision was made for receiving an inscription using raised metal letters; three sides display the useful monition, Keep The Pavement Dry. Civic virtues such as temperance were often extolled in inscriptions on drinking fountains. The structure is surmounted by an open filigree dome, the finial being a crown with a pattée cross.

Originally there was a drinking fountain beneath the canopy. The font (casting number 7) was 5 foot 8 inches high. The basin which had a scalloped edge and decorative relief was supported by a single decorative pedestal with four pilasters and four descending salamanders, a symbol of courage and bravery. A central urn with four consoles offered drinking cups suspended by chains. The terminal was a crane.

Casting #7

Casting #7

Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Griffins are symbolic of guardians of priceless possessions, salamanders display bravery and courage that cannot be extinguished by fire, and cranes are recognized as a symbol of vigilance.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Glossary

  • Capital: The top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
  • Cartouche, a structure or figure, often in the shape of an oval shield or oblong scroll, used as an architectural or graphic ornament or to bear a design or inscription
  • Console: a decorative bracket support element
  • Filigree, fine ornamental work
  • Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
  • Fret, running or repeated ornament
  • Griffin, winged lion denotes vigilance and strength, guards treasure and priceless possessions
  • Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting
  • Pattée cross, a cross with arms that narrow at the centre and flare out at the perimeter
  • Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
  • Pilaster, a column form that is only ornamental and not supporting a structure
  • Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
  • Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal

 

Laird Fountain

The Tranmere Abbatoir in Birkenhead was opened by Mayor William Laird Esq. in 1886. To commemorate the opening of the abbatoir, a fountain was mounted into the wall at the corner of New Chester Road and the entrance to Cammell Laird Shipyard.

The fountain is cast iron coated with copper which has weathered to create a blue/green patina. It is surmounted by a terracotta canopy with attic base and fluted conical acroteria.

The cast iron backplate is in the form of a stylized shield with decorative relief. The scalloped base (originally a trough for dogs) is flanked by two lion masks which delivered water to the trough. A single pedestal supports a protruding basin above which is a panel containing a large lion mask from which water spouted. A wreath and the date 7th March is displayed above the mask.

The top third of the fountain contains a ribbon scroll displayed across the width of the backplate with a dedication; These Abattoirs Were Opened By Wm Laird Esq J.P. Mayor Of Birkenhead.

Four rosettes which flank the backplate were possibly used to conceal bolts that anchor the plate to the bricks. On the wall to the right of the basin there is a circular plate with a button and the inscription; T. Kennedy Patented Kilmarnock. Thomas Kennedy was a partner in the firm Glenfield Co. Ltd. of Kilmarnock, manufacturers of castings and general foundry work.

The fountain was listed a Grade II historic building in 2011.

Glossary

  • Acroteria, an ornament placed on a flat base and mounted at the apex of the pediment
  • Attic base, a column base with two rings

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Image Sources

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/630889

http://www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk/drinking/birkenhead01.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12547928@N07/5384635229/

 

Hoylake Promenade Fountain