Tag Archives: Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd

Aberlour Railway Station Drinking Fountain

Location: Aberlour, Moray, Scotland

The drinking fountain attached to the wall of the main building served travellers for many years following the opening of the railway station in 1923. The Strathspey Railway closed the line to passengers in 1965 although freight traffic continued to use it until 1971. The building has now been transformed by the Aberlour Community Association and serves as a visitor centre and tearoom.

The redundant water fountain set into the wall of the former Aberlour Station building is model D17 cast by the Kennedy Patent Water Meter Co. Ltd. of Kilmarnock, Scotland, now known as Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd.  The maker’s name is stamped onto the backplate; T. Kennedy Patentee / Kilmarnock.

The cast iron backplate has straight sides with moulded arches at the top and bottom of the structure. A bas-relief inscription requests patrons to Keep The Pavement Dry (civic virtues such as temperance were often extolled in inscriptions on drinking fountains). A central push button released water from a shell motif spigot into a fluted demi-lune basin. A galvanized cup, originally suspended by a chain, captured drinking water from patented self-closing taps.

Glossary

  • Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
  • Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
  • Fluted, a long rounded groove
  • Spigot, a device that controls the flow of liquid
Advertisements

Renton Drinking Fountain

Location: Renton, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland

This drinking fountain, originally located near the Smollett Monument in the village of Renton, now stands in a paved seating area at the Integrated Healthy Living Centre on Main Street. It is one of two drinking fountains presented in 1886 by Alexander Wylie of Cordale to the Local Authority of Cardross Parish to commemorate the opening of the Carman Reservoir.

geograph4

The structure is in a state of disrepair and many of the original features are missing including the original font which was replaced with a pillar style drinking fountain made by Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd. of Kilmarnock. The original font was design number 7 standing 5 foot 8 inches high. The terminal was a crane. The basin (2 feet 6 inches in diameter) with a scalloped edge and decorative relief was supported by a single decorative pedestal with four pilasters and four descending salamanders, a symbol of courage and bravery. A central urn with four consoles offered drinking cups suspended by chains. The fountain was operated by pressing a button to release water flow.

geograph

The canopied drinking fountain is design number 8 from Walter Macfarlane & Co.’s catalogue manufactured at the Saracen Foundry at Possilpark in Glasgow. The structure is 9 feet 6 inches high and consists of four columns, from the capitals of which consoles with griffin terminals unite with arches formed of decorated mouldings.

Canopy 8_Saracen

Original casting of Saracen Canopy #8

The Renton example varies from the standard design which is not unusual as customization of each order was offered. The rope moulded cartouches within each lunette commonly contained optional memorial shields and the image of a crane which in this case has been replaced with a dog and the legend ‘Fides’. Fides was the goddess of trust, and the phrase ‘bona fides’ meant good faith.

geograph2

The memorial shield hosts a dedication; Presented / By / Alex. Wylie Of Cordale / To Local Authority / Of Cardross Parish / To Commemorate / The Opening Of / Renton Water Works / 1886.

geograph3

On two of the sides provision was made for receiving an inscription using raised metal letters; whilst on the other two sides was the useful monition, Keep The Pavement Dry. Civic virtues such as temperance were often extolled in inscriptions on drinking fountains.

The structure is surmounted by an open filigree dome, and although the standard finial was a crown with a pattée cross there is no photographic evidence to confirm.

Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Griffins are symbolic of guardians of priceless possessions, salamanders display bravery and courage that cannot be extinguished by fire, and cranes are recognized as a symbol of vigilance.

Glossary

  • Capital: The top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
  • Cartouche, a structure or figure, often in the shape of an oval shield or oblong scroll, used as an architectural or graphic ornament or to bear a design or inscription
  • Console: a decorative bracket support element
  • Filigree, fine ornamental work
  • Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
  • Fret, running or repeated ornament
  • Griffin, winged lion denotes vigilance and strength, guards treasure and priceless possessions
  • Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting

All images used via Creative Commons License, Lairich Rig. Source: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5034461