Tag Archives: Lanarkshire

Glenview Park Memorial Fountain

Location: Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland

I have been unable to discover when this drinking fountain was erected, and if Glenview Memorial Park is the original location. However, per photographic evidence it was in this location in 1929.

1929

The canopied drinking fountain located in Glenview Memorial Park is design number 21 (18 feet by 4 feet) from Walter Macfarlane &Co.’s catalog manufactured by the Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland. Seated on a two tiered octagonal plinth, the canopy is supported by eight columns with griffin terminals which are positioned over capitals with foliage frieze above square bases.

The highly decorated cusped arches are trimmed with rope mouldings which displayed lunettes with alternate images of cranes and swans, or optional memorial shields such as the Larkhall Victualling Society Limited. On each side arch faceplates provide a flat surface for inscription using raised metal letters; often the useful monition, Keep The Pavement Dry. Civic virtues such as temperance were often extolled in inscriptions on drinking fountains.

Doves and flowers offer decorative relief on the circular, open filigree, ribbed dome. The internal capitals are floral ornament, and statues of owls on enlarged column heads. The openwork iron canopy was originally surmounted with a vase and spiked obelisk finial.

 

Under the canopy stood font casting number 7. The 5ft 8ins high font was a single decorative pedestal with four pilasters and descending salamander relief supporting a basin 2 ft 6 ins in diameter. The interior surface of the scalloped edge basin was engraved with decorative relief, and a sculptured vase was terminated by the figure of a crane. Four elaborate consoles supported drinking cups on chains. Water flowed from a spout into the drinking cup by pressing its edge against a projecting stud below the spout. The self-closing valve allowed for operation with only one hand.

Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Griffins are symbolic of guardians of priceless possessions; lions are symbolic of guardianship; doves are synonymous with peace, and owls are symbolic of guardians of the afterlife. Cranes are recognized as a symbol of vigilance and are often depicted standing on one leg while holding a stone in the claws of the other foot. Legend states that if the watchful crane fell asleep the stone would fall and waken the bird.

As part of the refurbishment of Glenview Memorial Park a mosaic was created on the octagonal plinth of the cast iron drinking fountain. The mosaic was created by artist Alan Potter focusing the design on the historical, cultural and social development of Larkhall village and its environs. The icons are accompanied by brief descriptions in text set around the time-line: The Beaker people, The Damnoni Celts, The Romans, The early Christians, The Hamilton Family, The Reformation, The Covenanters and the Friendly Societies.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The central portion of the design comprises images which are of particular significance to Larkhall in its development since the mid-18th century.

  • The early introduction of Building Societies allowing people to own their own properties (“Bonnet Lairds”).
  • Fruit growing in the Clyde Valley.
  • Home weaving with a handloom and shuttles.
  • Portrait of Robert Smillie, a miner, trade unionist who defended the rights of miners around the UK, a social reformer who co-founded the Labour Party in Scotland, President of the Miners’ Federation of Great Britain, and a symbolic broken chain and an overhead lamp symbolizing enlightenment.
  • A miner working in a low, cramped seam, his headlamp echoing the one above Smillie’s portrait.
  • Coal loaded on to trucks being taken away to power the heavy industries of Britain.
  • The steam train crosses the viaduct, tallest in Scotland at 170’ high, over Morgan’s Glen and the River Avon.

At the centre is a circular icon showing a lark ascending over a hill, the possible origin of the name Larkhall. However the name appears as Lakhouse in Timothy Pont’s Blaeu Atlas of Scotland completed in 1596 and published in 1654. It was also known in the 19th century as Laverockhall (Laverockha’) referring to a skylark and a wet boggy area.

The mosaic was unveiled in October 2008 by artist Alan Potter and the Larkhall Heritage Group. Many thanks to Alan Potter who supplied me with the mosaic information.

Glossary

  • Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
  • Cartouche, a structure or figure, often in the shape of an oval shield or oblong scroll, used as an architectural or graphic ornament or to bear a design or inscription.
  • Console, a decorative bracket support element
  • Cusped Arch, the point of intersection of lobed or scalloped forms
  • Filigree, fine ornamental work
  • Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
  • Fret, running or repeated ornament
  • Frieze, the horizontal part of a classical moulding just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
  • Griffin, winged lion denotes vigilance and strength, guards treasure and priceless possessions
  • Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting
  • Obelisk, a tall, four-sided, narrow tapering monument which ends in a pyramid-like shape at the top
  • Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
  • Pilaster, a column form that is only ornamental and not supporting a structure
  • Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
  • Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal

Thorntree Well Fountain

Location: Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland

In the 19th century, the town of Bothwell’s water supply came from a series of public wells. Towards the end of the century these wells were being replaced with piped water. One such well named Thorntree, situated at the junction of Green Street and Main Street, was replaced with a drinking fountain in 1889. Public subscription raised funds for the project in 1888.

The fountain was damaged in April 1896 when it was hit by a tramway bus drawn by four horses. “On Monday night, about nine o’clock, while a tramway bus drawn by four horses, and driven by John Sinclair, 109 Broad street, Carlton, Glasgow, was passing through the village on its way to the city, the driver mistaking the road, took the off-side of the fountain at the foot of Green Street, and went crash against the stone wall at the corner opposite. About fifteen feet of the wall gave way, and the driver was thrown from his seat, sustaining an ugly cut on his temple. The passengers escaped with bruises” Hamilton Advertiser 11/4/1896.

The fountain was removed circa 1940s when it became an obstacle to tramway lines and increased motor traffic.

Design #80 manufactured by Walter Macfarlane & Co. in the Saracen´s foundry, Glasgow was well suited for Street Crossings, Squares, Market Places, etc., as it afforded drinking accommodation for a large number of horses and drivers, and effectively lit a wide space, with the least possible obstruction to other traffic. It was 12ft 9ins high providing a circular cast iron basin supported on legs in the form of horses’ hooves. The central stanchion with attic base supported a central fluted column and the option of a shield for inscription. Cups suspended on chains hung from two projecting consoles in the form of tendrils. A bulbous form engraved with acanthus bas-relief demarcated the transformation of the column into a lamp pillar (#30) with lantern design #208. Yoke maintenance arms were positioned beneath the lantern.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Glossary

  • Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration
  • Attic base, a column base with two rings
  • Console, a decorative bracket support element
  • Fluted Shaft, a long rounded groove decorating the shaft of a column
  • Stanchion, an upright bar or post providing support
  • Yoke maintenance arms, the bars near the top of the street light which supported the lamplighter’s ladder

MacKirdy Fountain

Location: Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

In 1873 water from a spring in Greenburn hill was directed to the village using a ditch. An agreement to provide the village with a proper water supply was reached years later with John MacKirdy who promised a generous donation to create what would become known as the MacKirdy tank. As part of the agreement, Birkwood House (the MacKirdy home) would benefit from the water supply, and a drinking fountain would be erected in the village.

The drinking fountain was erected in the 1880s at the junction of Abbey road and New Trows Road where it remained until 1926 when it became an obstacle to bus traffic. A decision was made to relocate the structure to MacKirdy Park, but during the dismantling process it was damaged beyond repair.

The junction continued to be referred to as the Fountain, and following pressure from local residents the South Lanarkshire Council authorised the creation of a reproduction. Machan Engineering was hired to manufacture and install an exact replica of the original fountain. This was accomplished using original moulds and new pieces created from drawings of the original. JPS Restoration & Property Services assisted in the assembly of the whole, the installation of the fountain and painting of the structure. The drinking fountain was restored to its original location on 24th June 2010.

The canopied drinking fountain is design number 21 (18 feet by 4 feet) from Walter Macfarlane’s catalog manufactured at the Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland. Seated on a circular plinth (originally a two tiered octagonal plinth), the canopy is supported by eight columns with griffin terminals which are positioned over capitals with foliage frieze above square bases.

The highly decorated cusped arches are trimmed with rope mouldings which display lunettes with alternate images of cranes and swans, or optional memorial shields. On each side arch faceplates provide a flat surface for inscription using raised metal letters; often the useful monition, Keep the pavement dry. Civic virtues such as temperance were often extolled in inscriptions on drinking fountains.

Doves and flowers offer decorative relief on the circular, open filigree, ribbed dome. The internal capitals contain flowers, and statues of owls on enlarged column heads. The openwork iron canopy was originally surmounted with a lantern finial.

Owl mask capital

Owl mask capital

Under the canopy stands the font, design number 4 (4ft. 9ins), a single decorative pedestal seated on an octagonal base. The interior surface of the basin is engraved with a scalloped design. An elongated column decorated with floral relief offered drinking cups suspended by chains from two consoles.

Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Griffins are symbolic of guardians of priceless possessions; owls are symbolic of guardians of the afterlife; and cranes are recognized as a symbol of vigilance.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Glossary

  • Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
  • Console, a decorative bracket support element
  • Cusped Arch, the point of intersection of lobed or scalloped forms
  • Filigree, fine ornamental work
  • Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
  • Frieze, the horizontal part of a classical moulding just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
  • Fret, running or repeated ornament
  • Griffin, winged lion denotes vigilance and strength, guards treasure and priceless possessions
  • Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting
  • Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
  • Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
  • Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal

Overtoun Park Jubilee Fountain

Location: Overtoun Park, Mill St, Cambuslang, Burgh of Rutherglen, Lanarkshire

Rutherglen’s Jubilee Fountain was originally erected at the west end of Main Street (the Gushet) in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. Due to the increasing presence of the motor car it was relocated to Overtoun Park in 1911 to accommodate traffic flow. It was registered as a Category B listed building on 4 April 1974.

The canopied drinking fountain is design number 20, an elaborate 18 feet by 4 feet fountain, sold by Walter Macfarlane & Co, and manufactured at the Saracen Foundry, Possilpark, Glasgow, Scotland. Seated on an octagonal plinth, the open filigree canopy is supported by eight columns with griffin terminals which are positioned over capitals with foliage frieze above square bases.

The highly decorated cusped arches are trimmed with rope mouldings. Cartouches contained within each lunette display cranes, the Rutherglen Coat of Arms, and two memorial shields: In Commemoration / Of The / Diamond Jubilee / Of / Queen Victoria / 1837-97, and Erected / By Public Subscription / Alexander Edmiston / Provost / George Gray / Town Clerk

On each side, arch faceplates provided a flat surface for an inscription using raised metal letters; often the useful monition, Keep the pavement dry. Civic virtues such as temperance were often extolled in inscriptions on drinking fountains. The ribbed dome is open filigree decorated with dove and flower relief. The internal capitals contain flowers, statues of owls on enlarged column heads and lion mascarons on internal shields. The structure is surmounted by an imperial crown finial.

Under the canopy stands the font (design number 18.) A circular shaft, ornamented with water lilies, rests on a wide base with canted corners. Four lion jambs support four highly decorated quatrefoil basins. Rising from the centre is a pyramid shaped stanchion decorated with swan and bird decoration. A kylix-shaped lamp terminal with four consoles offer drinking cups suspended by chains. Sitting atop the lamp was a bust of Queen Victoria which was removed in 1992.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Glossary

  • Canted corner, an angled surface which cuts of a corner
  • Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
  • Cartouche, a structure or figure, often in the shape of an oval shield or oblong scroll, used as an architectural or graphic ornament or to bear a design or inscription
  • Console, a decorative bracket support element
  • Cusped Arch, the point of intersection of lobed or scalloped forms
  • Filigree, fine ornamental work
  • Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
  • Fret, running or repeated ornament
  • Frieze, the horizontal part of a classical moulding just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
  • Griffin, winged lion denotes vigilance and strength, guards treasure and priceless possessions
  • Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
  • Kylix, a Grecian style drinking cup
  • Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting
  • Mascaron, a decorative element in the form of a sculpted face or head of a human being or an animal
  • Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
  • Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
  • Stanchion, upright bar or post providing support
  • Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal

Burngreen Park Fountain

Located in Kilsyth, Lanarkshire, Burngreen Park, Scotland, this fountain was erected in 1910. It was donated to the town by Provost Robert Murdoch (1907 –1910) to commemorate 25 years of service to the Town Council. A dedication stone set into the ground states, The Drinking Fountain / 1910 / Gifted To The Burgh Of Kilsyth By / Provost Robert Murdoch To / Commemorate His Retiral After 25 / Years Of Public Service On The / Town Council / Cast Iron Made By The Lion / Foundry, Kirkintilloch.

Drinking fountain number 41, 12 ft 8 ins high, was manufactured by the Lion Foundry of Kirkintilloch and rests on a square plinth with grates for drainage, (the Lion Foundry stamp is visible in the base of the structure.) The central column is decorated with palmette and acanthus relief. Quatrefoil basins are supported by a square base with chamfered corners. Panels above each basin are decorated with floral relief divided into sections by a compass cross, at the centre of which is a lion mask. The capital supports a multi level acroter surmounted by the figure of a woman dressed in flowing robes holding an olive branch in her left hand while supporting an urn on her head with her right hand.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

To celebrate the centenary in 2010 of Burngreen Park, the infrastructure which included the bandstand, war memorial and the drinking fountain was refurbished, funded by Heritage Lottery Fund , North Lanarkshire Council, and the support of Friends of Burngreen Park. As with all cast iron fountains the structure had deteriorated over decades, cracks appeared, embellishments disappeared or were removed, paint chipped and faded. Historical references, photographs and paint analysis allowed restoration of the fountain close to its original state.

DSCN7192

The original structure was located on a square concrete plinth and a cast iron base which included grates for drainage. A dedication plaque was situated below the statue. Two small step stools were positioned to assist children in reaching metal cups suspended on chains. A self closing tap spouted water from the lion’s mouth.

Glossary

  • Acanthus, one of the most common plant forms (deeply cut leaves) to make foliage ornament and decoration
  • Acroter, flat base
  • Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
  • Chamfered, a beveled edge connecting two surfaces
  • Compass cross, a cross of equal vertical and horizontal lengths, concentric with and overlaying a circle.
  • Palmette, a decorative motif resembling the fan shaped leaves of a palm tree
  • Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
  • Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter

This slideshow requires JavaScript.