Tag Archives: Major Hall

Warrenpoint Fountain

Location: Warrrenpoint, County Down, Norther Ireland

In the late 19th century, Major Hall, owner of Narrow-water Castle and landlord of the town, donated 7 acres of land to provide sanitation and drinking water to the town. The Warrenpoint Waterworks, later to be known as Donaghaguy Reservoir, was formally opened on 22 April 1876. Mr. Barton, Civil Engineer, presented a drinking fountain to the town.

This fountain was number 7 from Walter Macfarlane’s catalog manufactured at the Saracen foundry in Glasgow, Scotland. The font was a single pedestal basin with four decorative columns rising from a two tiered square plinth. Four salamanders descended the fountain pedestal as a symbol of courage and bravery. The basin had a scalloped edge and decorative relief. A central urn with four outstretched tendrils offered drinking cups suspended by chains. The terminal was a crane recognized as a symbol of vigilance.

The last 3 images reveal that the crane and drinking cups have been removed. The fountain was still in existence although not in use in the early 1950s. Its demise is not known although there is a rumour that it rests in a private garden.

Glossary:
Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal 

 

Advertisements