Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
At the main gate to the Market Square stands the historic drinking fountain originally located at Five Corners. Joseph Heywood who owned 5 acres of property at this location installed a drinking fountain/horse trough there in 1885 to quench the thirst of tired horses hauling loads from rural Saanich to Victoria. It was replaced with another fountain in 1937 by Maurice Humber to celebrate the city’s 75th anniversary.
An informative plaque on the structure details its history.
Market Square Main Gate Fountain
This Historic Fountain Was Originally Erected Near The Turn Of The / Century At ‘The Edge Of Town’ Known As The Five Corners / Government Douglas Gorge And Hillside Streets / The Three Level Fountain Provided Water For Parched Travellers / And Their Thirsty Horses, As Well As Smaller Animals Such As Dogs / And Pigs On Their Way To Market/ The Fountain Was Removed To The City Work Yards In 1950 Where / It Languished Until It Was Restored When These Nine Heritage / Buildings Were Refurbished In 1975 To Create Market Square.
Seated on a square plinth is a single pedestal with attic base containing a small demi-lune basin on two sides for the use of dogs. Two large demi-lune fluted horse troughs located above supplied the dog basins with overflow water. The front of the fountain has an extended arm supporting a basin for human use. A panel with bas-relief displays the figure of a classically robed woman holding a cup. Egg and dart moulding sits below the cornice.
- Attic base, a column base with two rings
- Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Egg and dart, a carving of alternating oval shapes and dart or arrow shapes
- Fluted, a long rounded groove
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.