Location: Dornoch, Sutherland, Scotland
The Anderson Memorial Drinking Fountain was erected by Miss Georgina Anderson in 1892 and is located on Castle Street at Cathedral Green in Dornoch.
Drinking fountain number 3 in the George Smith & Co. catalogue was manufactured by the Sun Foundry. Four columns with obelisk finials rise from a double plinth to support a domed canopy. The interior column connectors to the dome are adorned with descending alligatorss and leafy decoration. They were considered a symbol of evil and were hung from the ceilings of cabinets as a reminder of the mortality of humanity.
The dome with a lamp finial covers the fluted pedestal and wide basin containing a putto holding an oar, seated on an upturned urn. There is a small basin at ground level for animals.
Arch faceplates with drip fret detail offer a flat surface for inscriptions in raised metal letters; civic virtues such as temperance were extolled on many drinking fountains. The words, Presented by Miss Georgina Anderson 1892, are displayed in raised metal letters on the arch.
Over each arch are commemorative panels for dedication or crests. The medallion on the north contains the Sutherland crest with the words Sans Peur, and on the south is the crest of the Royal Burgh of Dornoch. On the east the medallion is the Coat of Arms for the Anderson family, and the west medallion contains the Coat of Arms for Clan Munro (Georgina’s mother.)
In 1911 preparations were made to install a petrol lamp at the top of the fountain.
On the 7 March 1984 it as listed as a historical category B building. A replacement putto was installed in 2010.