Location: Lakewood, New Jersey, USA
The village of Lakewood became a Township on March 23, 1893. When several high profile families purchased real estate in the area, it became a vacation resort for the wealthy.
Although the installation of a drinking fountain was the idea of William J. Harrison, Druggist and State Senator in 1903, Captain Albert M. Bradshaw , a real estate agent who handled Rockefeller’s real estate transactions, was put in charge of the project raising $1,000 by subscription. The social hierarchy was evident when a small drinking trough at ground level for dogs was designated for ‘not strays, but the hounds of the Lakewood Hunt Club’.
The drinking fountain was located on Clifton Avenue from 1891 until 1938 when construction began on the post office. The structure was then moved to Main Street at North Lake Drive and Madison Avenue. The lamps were removed and the fountain no longer issued water.
In 1981 during redesign of the downtown area the fountain was moved to within 100 feet of its original location at the northeast corner of Clifton Avenue and Main Street near the Post Office.
The fountain was again relocated in 2016 to a circular driveway in front of Kuser Hall, the new home of the Sheldon Wolpin Lakewood Historical Museum. The museum can be found inside Pine Park, the home of Lakewood Country Club.
The cast iron structure manufactured by J. L. Mott Iron Works is seated on an octagonal base with chamfered corners. A small basin at ground level allowed dogs to drink, and two large fluted troughs serviced the thirst of horses and cattle. A bronze plaque is inscribed; Erected By / Subscription / 1891 / Made By / The J.L. Mott.Iron.Works / New York.
Eight panels, surmounted with scalloped arches, hosted dolphin masks from which water spouted into four demi-lune basins decorated with laurel leaves. Anchored adjacent to the basin were drinking cups suspended on chains. A square central column displayed cartouches containing an orb surrounded by flourish. Each corner was bound with a highly decorated pilaster.
The capital supported an urn flanked by two elaborate consoles supporting glass lanterns. The highly decorated urn was capped with an orb and pineapple finial (symbolic of friendship and hospitality).
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Cartouche, a structure or figure, often in the shape of an oval shield or oblong scroll, used as an architectural or graphic ornament or to bear a design or inscription.
- Chamfered, a beveled edge connecting two surfaces
- Console, a decorative bracket support element
- Demi-lune, half moon or crescent shape
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Fluted, a long rounded groove
- Mask/Mascaron, a decorative element in the form of a sculpted face or head of a human being or an animal
- Pilaster, a column form that is only ornamental and not supporting a structure