Location: Barlow, Oregon, USA
Samuel Kimbrough Barlow, the patriarch of the Barlow family, was a pioneer in 1845 who established Barlow Road, part of the Oregon Trail which improved the journey of wagons crossing the Cascade Mountain Range. He was appointed Justice of the Peace and purchased land which eventually became the town of Barlow.
His son, William, mapped the town and built the family mansion where he planted an avenue of black walnut trees. He was associated with the organization of the state fair, the first woolen mill in Oregon, and the first telegraph line.
The cast iron drinking fountain located on Main Street at the intersection of Washington and Harvard Streets in Brookline Village (officially called Harvard Square) was donated to the City of Barlow in 1904 by Mary Susannah Barlow as a tribute to her parents; William who died in 1904 and Martha who died in 1901.
In 1957 Barlow City Council wanted to remove the old fountain; however at the request of W.B. Tull, a grandson of Martha Ann Barlow, the city was encouraged to restore it.
The fountain is seated on an octagonal stone plinth. Dates engraved on the stone indicate the year of death of Mary’s beloved parents: 1901 Barlow / 1904 Barlow. The octagonal base hosts a trough for dogs at ground level, and above eight sides offer panels for dedication.
The pedestal narrows above a cornice with attic base. A large fluted trough is situated on one side of the pedestal with a smaller basin on the opposite side for use by humans. The pedestal is enriched with bas-relief decoration, and the capital supports a four sided cavetto finial surmounted by an orb.
A nearby marker details the history of the drinking fountain:
The historic Barlow fountain was donated to the City of Barlow in 1904 by Mary Susannah Barlow as a tribute to her parents who platted the city in 1891.
William Barlow-son of Susannah Lee and Samuel Kimbrough Barlow pioneer of 1845 and builder of The Barlow Road.
Martha Ann Partlow Barlow – the generous hostess of their family mansion, now known as the historic William Barlow House. This family home remains on the original Barlow DLC site on Hwy 99E, looking south from this marker.
The dates engraved on the base of the Fountain indicate the year of death of Mary’s beloved parents: 1901-Martha Ann Barlow and 1904-William Barlow.
The fountain has 3 tiers of water; the lowest for dogs, the middle for horses and the highest was a drinking fountain for people. This fountain remains for us a significant reminder of Barlow’s historic past.
-Marker placed by City of Barlow – 2002
- Attic base, a column base with two rings
- Bas-relief, sculpted material that has been raised from the background to create a slight projection from the surface
- Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
- Cavetto, a concave moulding with a curve of 90°
- Cornice, a molding or ornamentation that projects from the top of a building
- Finial, a sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
- Fluted, a long rounded groove
- Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
- Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests.