Monthly Archives: November 2013

Pitlochry Railway Station Fountain

Location: Pitlochry, Perthshire, Scotland

Pitlochry Railway Station opened in 1863 and was restored in 2013 to celebrate the Sesquicentennial. As part of the celebration, the drinking fountain located on the platform was also restored courtesy of the Railway Heritage Trust, Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust, and the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The Victorian fountain was manufactured at the Saracen Foundry, Glasgow, and is identified as casting number 7. The font is a single pedestal basin with four decorative columns rising from an octagonal plinth. Four salamanders descend the fountain pedestal as a symbol of courage and bravery. The basin has a scalloped edge and decorative relief. A central urn with four outstretched tendrils offered drinking cups suspended by chains. The terminal is a crane recognized as a symbol of vigilance.

Reports that it was originally located at Strathyre Railway Station  and relocated to the station at Pitlochry are incorrect. The Strathyre drinking fountain was an award for the ‘best kept station’ on the Callander & Oban Railway line (Strathyre Railway Station was famous for its superb gardening displays.) It is currently located in a garden and visible from the road.

Glossary:

  • Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
  • Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal

 


Fountain in National Museum, Scotland

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

The cast iron drinking fountain on display in the Grand Hall of the museum has been extensively restored and is intended to replicate pattern number 21 from the Walter Macfarlane & Co.’s. catalogue. However, this restored version has applied elements from a different design.

The finial on top of the canopy is a finial associated with Drinking Fountain number 8 (a 4 column canopy version.) The griffins with outstretched wings lay on the arches of pattern number 8. The correct version for pattern 21 has griffins with wings tucked into the side.

Design number 21 was manufactured in the 1880’s at the Saracen Foundry at Possilpark in Glasgow, considered the most prolific architectural iron founder in the world. The description in the catalogue reads: The structure consists of four columns, from the capitals of which consoles with griffin terminals unite with arches formed of decorative mouldings, encircling ornamental shields. On two of the sides provision is made for receiving an inscription; whilst on the other two sides is the useful monition, “Keep the Pavement Dry.” Surmounting this is an open and highly enriched dome, the apex being occupied by a crown. Under the canopy stands the font, with basin 2 feet 6 inches in diameter. Price, ready for fitting up, with four water supply taps, and four drinking cups, delivered in Glasgow:- £27.10.0

The canopied drinking fountain is seated on an octagonal plinth. The canopy is supported by eight columns with griffin terminals which are positioned over capitals with foliage frieze above square bases.

The highly decorated cusped arches are trimmed with rope mouldings which display an image of a crane in each lunette. On each side arch faceplates provide a flat surface for inscription using raised metal letters; often the useful monition, Keep the pavement dry. Civic virtues such as temperance were often extolled in inscriptions on drinking fountains.

Doves and flowers offer decorative relief on the circular, open filigree, ribbed dome which is surmounted with a crown and with a pattée cross. The internal capitals contain flowers.

Under the canopy is the font (casting number 7, 5 ft 8ins high). The single pedestal with four decorative pilasters and descending salamander relief supports a basin 2 ft 6 ins in diameter. The basin has a scalloped edge and is engraved with decorative relief. The original design contained a central vase with four consoles which offered drinking cups suspended by chains. The terminal is a crane. As in almost every example of cast iron drinking fountains, the drinking cups have been lost and/or deteriorated. Sadly, a facsimile of the original drinking cups has not been replicated.

Symbolism was popular in Victorian times. Griffins are symbolic of guardians of priceless possessions, cranes are recognized as a symbol of vigilance, and salamanders as a symbol of courage and bravery.

Glossary

  • Capital, the top of a column that supports the load bearing down on it
  • Console, a decorative bracket support element
  • Cusped Arch, the point of intersection of lobed or scalloped forms
  • Filigree, fine ornamental work
  • Frieze, the horizontal part of a classical moulding just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
  • Griffin, winged lion denotes vigilance and strength, guards treasure and priceless possessions
  • Lunette, the half-moon shaped space framed by an arch, often containing a window or painting
  • Pattée cross, a cross with arms that narrow at the centre and flare out at the perimeter
  • Pedestal, an architectural support for a column or statue
  • Pilaster, a column form that is only ornamental and not supporting a structure
  • Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
  • Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal

Fountain in St. Pancras Old Church Gardens

This drinking fountain is located in the gardens of St. Pancras Old Church, Camden Town, Greater London, U.K. It was manufactured by Andrew Handyside and Co. of Derby, England and is design number 48 in the 1877 catalogue.

Resting on a circular concrete plinth, the cylindrical structure with attic base supports a three tiered acroter. Six fluted columns and decorative volutes support a cupola with Neptune mask frieze. A solid dome is surmounted by a sculptured basin. The apex is a finial of a putto carrying an urn on his shoulder. The font itself consists of a shallow fluted urn which has been capped.

It was manufactured for William Thornton, a senior church warden of St. Pancras, and gifted to the church on 22 August 1877. It was listed a grade II English Heritage building in 1998.

For the trivia buffs, it is interesting to note that on Sunday, July 28th 1968, whilst recording the White Album, The Beatles and several cameramen spent the day at random locations all over London. This outing became known as the Mad Day Out. The Beatles were photographed at the fifth location, the drinking fountain, spitting water at the camera lenses.

Glossary

  • Acroter, a flat base
  • Attic base, A column base with two rings
  • Cupola, A small, domed structure on top of a roof
  • Finial, A sculptured ornament fixed to the top of a peak, arch, gable or similar structure
  • Frieze, The horizontal part of a classical entablature just below the cornice, often decorated with carvings
  • Plinth, flat base usually projecting, upon which a pedestal, wall or column rests
  • Putto, A figure in a work of art depicted as a chubby male child, usually nude
  • Volute, a spiral scroll-like ornament found in the capital of a column

 

Sources:

http://friargatebridge.blogspot.ca/2012/01/drinking-fountain-in-st-pancras-old.html

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMFBT4_The_Mad_Day_Out_St_Pancras_Gardens_Fountain_Pancras_Road_London_UK

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-477699-drinking-fountain-approximately-36-metre

http://tigergrowl.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/natural-park-and-old-church/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorianlondon/5707649689/in/pool-1531851@N22

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Water_Fountain,_St_Pancras_Old_Church,_London_-_geograph.org.uk_-_315380.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreakirkby/2174310611/

http://londonbeatles.webege.com/st_pancras.php