Diamond Jubilee Drinking Fountain
Location: Yeadon, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Thomas Brown, owner of Kirk Lane Mills in Yeadon, was a local benefactor who donated funds to build the Town Hall. In his will, he directed the planting of 300 trees along Killinghill Road (renamed Victoria Avenue), and the purchase of a drinking fountain to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. The directors of the Yeadon Water Works Company agreed to supply water free of charge during the term of their office.
The opening of Victoria Avenue, and the dedication of the Jubilee Drinking fountain took place on 8th January 1898 following a procession along the High Street. The fountain was erected at the intersection of Yeadon High Street and Victoria Avenue, now known as the Fountain Cross Roads.
In 1944 the fountain was irreparably damaged and removed. Its whereabouts are unknown. It may have been recycled for armaments during the war.
A stone marker was erected by Aireborough Civic Society in 1997 at the original site of the fountain. A plaque is inscribed with the following legend. Near This Site Stood / Yeadon Fountain / (Erected 1897) / Airborough Civic / Society / 1997
There is only one very blurred photograph of the fountain available which was font casting number 18, manufactured at Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland. The 6 feet 2 inches casting specifications had a wide base in the form of a St. Andrew’s cross with canted corners, on which was set a circular shaft, ornamented with water lilies. Four lion jambs supported four highly decorated quatrefoil basins. Rising from the centre was a stanchion decorated with swans and cranes on alternating sides. A kylix-shaped vase terminal with four projecting tendrils offered drinking cups suspended by chains. A small trough for dogs was located at the base of the font.
A dedication shield on the front of the fountain was salvaged and is now located above the booking office in the Town Hall. This Fountain Was Given And / The Trees Along This Road Were Planted / And Given To The Urban / District Council For The District Of / Yeadon / By / Mrs. E. Brown Of Mount Cross Bramley / To Form An Avenue Called Victoria Avenue / In Memory Of Her Late Husband / Thomas Brown Of Mount Cross Bramley / And Kirk Lane Mills / Yeadon / Also To Commemorate The Diamond Jubilee / Of Her Most Gracious Majesty / Queen Victoria / 1897
- Canted corner, an angled surface which cuts of a corner
- Jamb, a projecting vertical post containing sculpture
- Kylix, a Grecian style drinking cup
- Quatrefoil, a type of decorative framework consisting of a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter
- Stanchion, upright bar or post providing support
- Terminal, statue or ornament that stands on a pedestal
Posted on April 26, 2015, in Architecture, Cast Iron, England, Lost, Memorial Drinking Fountain, Queen Victoria Jubilee, Saracen Foundry and tagged Aireborough Civic Society, Fountain Cross Roads, Killinghill Road, Kirk Lane Mills, Leeds, Mount Cross Bramley, Thomas Brown, Victoria Avenue, West Yorkshire, Yeadon, Yeadon Water Works Company. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.